Tuesday 22 April 2014

Migas

About 4 years ago, on a family holiday we caught the ferry down to Santander in northern Spain and drove through the Pyrenees to the Costa Brava. We stopped off in the mountains for a couple of nights on the journey to the coast and one night I had Migas as a starter in the hotel restaurant.

I wasn't entirely sure what I ordered as the restaurant staff couldn't speak English and my mum's translation was something like breadcrumbs with bacon and eggs. I thought I'd give it ago anyway and I'm glad I did.

I was served a bowl filled with crispy breadcrumbs and bacon, and I asked for it without eggs but instead there were some grapes all mixed in. It was delicious anyway and as soon as I got home I found a recipe online and made it myself.

I have absolutely no idea where I got that recipe, and when I made it earlier I just made it from memory (if I remembered correctly that is) so I'm not sure how traditional this is but it tastes good!


To make enough to serve 2 you will need:

125g of breadcrumbs (made from a two day old or slightly stale loaf of white bread)
35g of diced chorizo
75g of lardons (or diced bacon)
1 1/2 teaspoons of sweet Pimentón (or smoked paprika)
Plenty of olive oil
2 eggs



Add the Pimentón to the breadcrumbs and stir so it is evenly distributed.

In a frying pan, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the meat until it is cooked and crispy.


Once cooked, chuck the breadcrumbs into the pan and stir until they are lightly coated in oil, the meat is evenly distributed throughout and they have turned orange.


Keep cooking until the breadcrumbs are all crispy and set aside. In the pan, add a little oil and fry the eggs. Serve in a bowl with an egg on top of each pile of crispy breadcrumbs.



I love this dish. Its so quick and easy and tastes amazing. I just love sweet Pimentón, its probably my favourtie spice and combined with the chorizo it turns the breadcrumbs a wonderful deep and rich orange. I think this would be a great brunch. Let me know in the comments if you've ever had/made this, I'd love to know how traditional this dish is and at what meal it's usually eaten!



No comments:

Post a Comment